Saturday 20 December 2014

"Buettner invited to International Bowl"

The following article actually refers to two Saskatchewan players who made the cut and will be attending the International Bowl in Arlington starting on January 30th.  The complete version of the article can be found on the Moose Jaw Time Herald website.

The picture of Sawyer Buettner playing for Team Saskatchewan Green during Football Canada Cup is by Michelle Berg of The Vancouver Sun.  Buettner was the MVP in his team's 40-32 win against Team Alberta in the tournament this past July.

The one further down of Payton Hall (apparently playing QB, though he's on the Team Canada roster as a DB) is by Troy Fleece of the Regina Leader-Post.
...Having helped lead the Peacock Tornados to two straight SHSAA 3A provincial football championships, (Sawyer) Buettner is hoping to be the offensive catalyst for Team Canada when they take on a group of American all-stars.

"The other quarterback there will be Alex Basilis of Calgary. I've met him before and he's a really good guy and I'm sure we will both be pushing each other," Buettner said. "We will see what happens when we get down there as to who will be starting, but we both want to help the team win in whatever way we can.

"The main goal is to just win and to get used to competing at a higher level against the guys from the United States. Everyone's level of play will be raised up."

While Buettner will be facing the top players from the United States for the first time, Caronport's Payton Hall will be making a return trip to the Lone Star state.

The Grade 12 defensive back for the Campbell Tartans in Regina took part in last year's game in Arlington, which Canada won by a score of 53-9.

"It's alway fun to play a different style of football and getting to play at a NFL stadium is always cool," Hall said.

"When I want there last year I got to learn how seriously high school football is treated down there in Texas. It was a real eye-opener for me and it motivated me to work hard this year."


Hall helped lead the Tartans to the Regina city final this season, where they lost to the LeBoldus Golden Suns.

"Our team accomplished a lot of the things that we wanted to going into the season," Hall said. "But we lost a tough final to LeBoldus and it wasn't close to how we planned on finishing things off.

"It was really hard for me as I ended up spraining my right ankle two days before the final. It was really tough to be on the sidelines and watching things happen."

Hall is hoping to help Canada repeat their dominant performance from a year ago, as he works on finalizing his plans for the 2015 season.

"I've narrowed it down to a few schools and I'm now I'm trying to decide what school is the right one for me," Hall said.

"I'm not stressing out too much about it though and I plan on just enjoying the experience of going down to Texas and working things out when I come back."

No comments:

Post a Comment